This position serves as a Custodian for a summer camp in Grand Rapids, Michigan, for children and youth who are blind or who have low vision. The main goal of the camp is to provide a fun, safe and educational setting which promotes independence and quality of life for children and adults who are blind or have low vision. As Custodian, this position is responsible, under the direction of the Camp Director, for daily cleaning of restrooms, kitchen, high touch areas and floors and to keep the camp as clean as possible. This position reports to the Camp Director.
- Follow instructions from the Camp Director
- Do daily cleanings of restrooms, being sure to restock paper products and report problems to the Camp Director.
- Campers are also responsible for cleaning. Assist other camp staff with access to proper cleaning products and procedures.
- Ask for help when unsure of process to clean an area appropriately.
- Apply basic youth development principles in working with campers through positive communication, relationship development, respect for diversity, involvement and empowerment of youth.
- Be aware of and implement safety guidelines; follow camp rules.
- Participate in the development and implementation of program activities for campers that involve cleaning.
- Maintain high standards of health and safety in all activities for campers and staff.
- Be alert to equipment and facilities to ensure utilization, proper care, and maintenance is adhered to; report repairs needed promptly to Camp Director.
- Be a role model to campers and staff in your attitude and behavior.
- Follow and uphold all safety and security rules and procedures.
- Set a good example to campers and others in regard to general camp procedures and practices including sanitation, schedule, and sportsmanship.
- At the end of each camp session, make sure facilities are cleaned and prepared for the next session
- At the end of the season, submit an end-of-camp evaluation with recommendations for improvement.
- At the end of camp season, make sure the facilities are clean, equipment is inventoried and stored, and other duties as assigned to close camp
- Learn and follow through with safety regulations and emergency procedures
- NO SMOKING, USE OF ALCOHOL, or ILLEGAL DRUGS is permitted during summer employment with Opportunities Unlimited for the Blind
- Submit all required paperwork on time
This position requires a motivated person who is passionate about improving the quality of life for persons who are blind or have low vision. Comfort with culture change and social change is important for the person in this position. Advocacy skills, excellent inter-personal skills, excellent communication skills, creativity, initiative and the ability to motivate others are important.
This position requires the following:
- Must be at least 17 years of age
- Enjoys keeping areas clean, neat and organized
- Preferred: at least 1 season experience in an organized camp setting
- In a physical condition that permits active participation in camp activities side-by-side with campers and staff, and able to physically respond in an emergency situation
- Mature, capable person who willingly accepts guidance and supervision from supervisor
- Work well with others
- Willingness to live and work in an outdoor/camp setting
- Ability to work independently
- Current CPR and first aid training preferred
- Life Saving certificate a plus (training and cost to be provided by OUB)
- Ability to carry out established roles in enforcing camp safety regulations
This is a 24-7 on-call position while camp is in session from June 3– July 25, 2022. See camp schedule.
This job description may not list all the duties and responsibilities of the position. The employee will answer to the OUB Camp Director, and may be asked to perform other duties. OUB reserves the right to revise this job description at any time. The employee will be evaluated, in part, based upon the performance of the tasks listed in this job description.
This job description is not a contract for employment.